Recipe for Slow Cooker Creamy Cauliflower and Potato Soup
Makes 3-4 servings (this can easily be doubled)
Ideal slow cooker size: 3-4 quart
Cooking time: 6-8 hours on low or 4-6 hours on high
1/2 cup diced white onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp canola oil
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
3 cups chicken broth (or 3 cups vegetable broth)
1/2 head cauliflower
8 oz yellow potatoes (this was just one large potato)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup half and half (or heavy cream)
Salt and pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp diced Green onion (optional)
1/4 cup grated cheddar (optional)
1/4 cup bacon bits (optional)
1. Combine onion, garlic, oil, nutmeg and cayenne pepper in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker.
2. Add the broth to the slow cooker.
3. Cut half a large head of cauliflower into florets. Add to the slow cooker.
4. Peel the potatoes and cut into cubes. Add into the slow cooker. Add in 1/4 tsp salt.
5. Cover the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 4-6 hours or on LOW for 6-8 hours.
6. Remove the lid and add contents of slow cooker to a large blender (you may have to work in batches). Blend until smooth and creamy. Add soup back into the slow cooker.
7. Add in half and half. Salt and pepper the soup to taste.
8. Pour soup into individual bowls and top each with green onions, cheddar and bacon.
Recipe adapted from America’s Test Kitchen Healthy Slow Cooker Revolution